License Information


To get married in Tennessee you must obtain a marriage license first, which will give a
* permission to perform your ceremony. A marriage is not legal without one.  

You do not have to be a resident of Tennessee but both parties must appear and you
both will need the following:

1. Proof of Social Security Number (Social Security Card or Driver License                 
containing SSN).
2.  Between the ages of 18 and 20 - State certified birth certificate
3.  Age 21 and over - A picture ID is required for verification.

Legal Aliens who do not have a social security number:
1.  Each with valid expiration dates: Passport and American Visa or
2.  Resident Alien Card

You must know or have the following:
Parents full name (including maiden name of mother)
Parents state of birth and address (if living)
Applicant's number of prior marriages
Date last marriage ended. For recent divorces, your divorce decree.

There are no waiting periods or blood tests.  You can get married the same day your
license is issued.  It is valid for 30 days and costs vary from $90.00 to $99.50
depending on the county.

Between the ages of 17 and 18 - You must have both parents accompany you, sign the
approval affidavit and you must bring your birth certificates.  There is a three day
waiting period. Under the age of 17 - No marriage license will be issued.

You may obtain your license Monday thru Friday at the following locations in our area.  
The cost is $97.50.  Offices are closed on some holidays.

                              Shelby County Clerk's Offices
                                       (901) 222-3015
        East - 1075 Mullins Station Road, Memphis (9:30am to 5:15pm)
            North - 4836 Navy Rd., Millington, TN (8:00am to 4:15pm)

                        Tipton County Clerk's Office (901) 476-0207
                       220 Highway 51 North, Suite 2, Covington, TN



To obtain a marriage license in Desoto County, MS, both applicants must appear. Proof
of age is required in the form of drivers license, ID, passport or birth certificate.  
Applicants under the age of 21 need parental consent.  As of July 1, 2012, a blood test
and waiting period is no longer required. You do not have to be a resident of
Mississippi. The cost of a Mississippi marriage license is $21.00 and may be obtained
at any MS Circuit Clerk's office.   

                            Desoto County Circuit Clerk  (662) 469-8350
                 2535 Highway 51 South, Room 200, Hernando, MS 38632

Jim Saucier Park
8710 Northwest Drive, Southaven, MS
**The state of Tennessee does not recognize Universal Life or American Marriage Ministries ordinations.